Saturday, October 12, 2013

Push Fold Chart

Still learning a lot about this game.  Played the Friday Night game at Vision tonight.  About 100 people in it.  Not sure where I busted...probably 50 or so.
I've been watching and reading a bit more than usual this week.  The EPT tour is up and running in London, so I've watched a lot of streaming poker.
I came across a Push Fold chart today that read:

I'd played a fairly solid game up now. One hand early irritated me. Blinds were 200-400 and I was in the SB. I wake up with AQ off suit. Villain in MP raises to 1200. Two calls behind, I call, BB calls and UTG calls.
 Yeah.
Flop comes Queen high. I bet around 2500 and only the original raiser calls. HMMMMMM I think. The board wasn't really connected, so I"m thinking he's got some kind of pocket pair.
Turn was a bit of a blank as well. I bet 3000 he raises to 6000. More hmmmmm. This is where I should fold, but I'm not convinced he doesn't have AK. Another blank on the River and I check. He bets 6k again and for some inexplicable reason I call. I know by now he's got KK.
 No doubt about it.
But I call, convincing myself he either has AK, or JJ. There was even a slim chance he had AQ. But that was just me convincing myself that I wasn't beat. Of course he had KK, and I was out a bunch of chips. I got a lot of them back and more though, and played well after that, getting my stack up to 60k from a starting stack of 35k. I ran into a bit of a cooler hand when I had AA and got it all in for only 10k against 10 9 and the fella turns a straight. Oh well...If that hands different, the night ends different though...
We went on break not long after that, and I find myself after the break UTG+1 with AJo. This is where the chart comes in. The chart says that with 8 players and no antes: 99+ ATs+ A5s AJo+ KTs+ QTs+ are pushing hands. I had 12BB (2000-4000) with AJo. So, I've got 12 BB with 8 players. I think normally, I may raise to 11k or so, but I'm wanting to put some new info to test to see what happens.

So, I push all in, and get one caller. Fairly new guy at the table. He's all in for 2000 less than I have and we end up heads up, in a 'Classic Race Situation' AJ against 99. The nines hold and I'm basically out.

Now, I'm not regretting my play...I knew what the push meant, and got exactly what I think I wanted. If I double there, I'm cruising for a while. If not I'm probably all in fairly soon, lighter and with less to earn. However, here's the thing. If I play it normally, I raise to 11 pre flop...not sure if he calls or pushes. He may just call set mining. The flop came K high. So, if I push on the flop, he may fold there and then. I know that's more results oriented but still an interesting thought. I got my money in with the right price: It was a coin flip and I was looking for a double up. Half the time I win that and go on to play longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment