Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Cranky Poker

So, I did something I shouldn't do:  Played poker when I'm cranky.
I love to play cards. I think most people who play poker regularly love it.  And there are times when I've gone to play cards when not feeling my best and have had the cards wake me up and change my attitude.  But that's rare.
My game is mostly putting myself in good spots, playing by feel and making good reads.
When I'm cranky, it just takes one or two bad breaks to send me down the tubes.  I lost with pocket nines to a rivered 10 early on and started the whole "well, it looks like its going to be one of those nights".
That's not my game, and that's a terrible way to play.
I'm not saying I tilted my cards off, but I am saying I played hands that I shouldn't have played, and got in trouble.  The hands that I should have played, I played overly defensively.  Those, plus making bad reads is a terrible set of ingredients for good poker.

I think that's why I do better on the Sunday game than I would on any other game.  Sunday's are usually stress free and relaxed.  Tuesdays...not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment