Monday, September 23, 2013

Stupid River

Well, my decent play has continued through the month of September.  Not sure if I'll get to play again this month.
Played last night in the regular Sunday night game at Vision Lanes.  Not sure the total number of players, but it was in the 50's.  They listed paying 5 spots, but ended up paying two bubbles.
First place paid around $535.  I came in 7, the final bubble, for my buy-in of $35.
I got knocked out on a bad beat that I couldn't avoid.  Some thoughts:
We had been at the FT for about half hour.  Started with 9 at the table.  Quickly lost one.  The dude who busted in 8 lasted a while.  We had talked bubble for a while, but the fella to my right would have none of it so early.  He was an irritating one.  He had an iPad, listening to music over his Beats by Dre.  I kind of think he may have been high.  He only mumbled and was constantly playing with his iPad.  Earlier, he went all in with AKss against the 9th place finisher.  No. 9 had 4's.  AK immediately started whining about never winning these and put his head down until the guy who lost informed him of the result.  Seemed rude.
Another hand the dude won on a 4 card flush and the dealer pushed chips his way.  He was fiddling with his iPad and didn't know that he won, or how he won.

That said, he had a bunch of chips...about twice as many as me...possibly a bit more.

So, it folds to him, with blinds being 30k/15k.  He was small blind, I was BB.  He glanced at his cards and mumbled all in.  I looked down at AK and knew I was good.  I wanted him to re-iterate he was all in so that he couldn't get away from the hand for claims of confusion.  I had to ask him twice before I could understand what he said, and STILL waited for him to push chips in before I called.  What I'm telling you is that he was mumbling.

I called.  The flop was 7, 8, 9 and I knew I was pretty done.  I know the odds are still on my side as he's got 10 outs 2 times so I was a 60/40 favorite.  The turn was an 8 so now I'm a 4 to 1 favorite.  The river was a 6, so he hit the straight an I was done.

2 Positives:  I got my money in good and got my investment back.

I had a headache for the last few hours and am proud of myself for pushing back a few urges to push/call light just get be done.  I feel like I'm doing a pretty good job of putting people in tough spots, and stay out of tough spots myself.  I did play a few hands wrong and would play a few hands differently.
One hand for example:
I was in MP 66.  I raised PF about 3x.  Villain calls from cut off.  He'd been pretty active.  I didn't see a lot of cards from him but mostly middle to big aces.  I got an overly aggressive vibe from him although I didn't see enough cards from him to verify it, and I don't recall seeing him in the room before.
The flop came J83 with two diamonds.  Now, I don't think my plan was terribly solid here.  I thought this was a pretty good flop for me, although J was in his range (KJ, AJ, QJ, J10), I thought that I could rep a pretty big hand with my pre-flop raise and then a check raise.  One thing I've done a lot of was c-betting and I thought maybe if I check raise here, I could rep a big hand.  So, I checked, he bet a little over pot (1400 I think) and I re-raised to 4600.  He insta-pushed and I folded here.  He asked if I was on a flush draw and didn't show, which tells me he had a big Jack and he thought I was looser than I was.
Not sure if I should just float there and set mine.  He's got two diamonds a lot of times there, and maybe 5's or 7's occasionally.  I'm pretty sure I'm behind, but I think I could have flatted there, maybe catch a set and take him out.

Last two hands to note:  First hand of the night.  This has never happened to me before.

I was in the 7 slot on the first hand with pocket 8's.  I raised to 250 with blinds being 25/50.  I have a hard time betting 150 in the first round.  We've got 35,000 chips in front of us....but whatever.
The villain re-raises me from the BB to 650.  I flat him there and put him on a big Ace or so.  No history with the guy and a twitchy read.
Flop comes 8 high with two diamonds.  Gin.  I bet a little less than the pot and he re-raised me all in.  Yep, you read that right.  He bet 34,000 into a pot that had 2 grand in it on the first hand.  Well, I had the nuts and thought I was looking at AK of diamonds...really there were now hands that made sense for him to have.  I showed my set and he flipped over KK.  Two cards later I had 70,025 and he walked out the door, leaving a table of guys shaking their heads.

A few hands later I have K10 in the SB.  I complete and probably 5 other people come along.  The Button raises, but not much so I call and so does everyone else.   The flop comes 10 10 6.  I check and it checks around.  I think I should bet there, but I was hoping for a check raise potential.  Ace comes on the turn.  I bet and get a caller.   
A river Ace and I know I'm sunk. 
I bet in the 4k range.  Button repops to 10k.  So, it'll cost me 6k to win 18 or so.  Getting 3 to 1 on the chance he hit the nut flush or a bluff was too much for me to take and I call.  He flips over AK and crushes me.  Like a post a few weeks ago, it's frustrating when I'm sure I'm beat, but I call anyways.  
This guy kept giving me the vibe he's a bluffer but showed the nuts each time, and never got caught bluffing.
There's a saying in poker that if you never get caught bluffing, you're not doing it enough.  So, my read may be totally wrong on the guy.  He's a younger fella, so maybe it's just some bias built into my game that I have to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment